Sunday, March 8, 2009

Block 7 OnLine PD

The first presentation that I looked at was Jim, Cheryl's , Rosaleta etc. on the 23 things to incorporate technology in our classes. First, I went to the site from the wiki becuase I didn't know what it was about. I like this site because for me it brings two things together, namely, a reason for me to practice using technology and professional development. I fouund the presentation really simple and straight forward. I liked how they made technology kind of simple ( if that's even possible) . Listing links for creating blogs and wikis are something that I would be willing to try. I'm not really overwhelmed by these and i would actually give them a go. They kind of managed to make technology easy....
I also like the mention of the delicious account, becuase I acutally mentioned this in my blog as something that I could do with/for the students.

One thought that I do want to mention about technology and PD is that i think for many teachers this is a good pairing. From some reading that I did for Sal's class last year, it looks like many teachers don't really particpate in PD sessions that they attend. What I have read stated that workshops are often not really an active thing, or that teachers don't take the information learned back to the classroom. they sit there for the presentation, but that's the end of if. I really find this a hard concept to wrap my mind around from a pharmacy perspective, but I think that through technology, PD can be chosen for areas that interest teachers, would allow for me flexibility in terms of time committment and would make it more likely for the teacher to actually bring the information back to the classroom. As I mentioned, we have PD for pharmacists and technology and online programs have really helped me becuase there aren't too many programs offered in North Battleford, so most mean driving and time off work. I have joined several online sites that offer pharamacist PD ( we call then CEU's - continuing education units) and I really like them. I guess it's this whole attitude of HAVING to do PD that I struggle with. I really like the courses that I take and am not sure why other's don't. I guess this is the carry over to teacher's PD and the possiblity that some don't get the most from the courses they attend. Such is life, but technology could really be a help here.

I also think that through technology, the opportunities and application for future learning are endless. technology is a bridge that can connect you to anywhere or thing. I think that technology is also a tool that changes with society, so that as our environment changes, so does our learning . each reflects the other and that's a really simple way to stay current. Staying current is a big deal in pharmacy too and I see the connection with education.


the second link that I took a look at was Duane's Leading the change from the k-12 Online Conference. to begin, he starts off with the first slide that web 2.0 is about student learning not just the tools but how to use them effectively. I really liked this right off the bat, becuase it's simple and connects to this class that we're taking. How many times has Marnie mentioned some version of this??? How to go!!! for me personally, I realy like this because i often really struggle with technology but if I can find something that works for me, baby steps is a good starting point.
He then continued with key factors, which again really connect to our class material - experiementation and collaboration. He then addressed safety when using web 2.0 I now know that this too is proabably a common concern amoung users. I checked out the examples that he listed and especially liked Animoto. It's pretty simple, yet has so many option availiable, that it ends up being pretty fancy, yet customized to your teaching need. I am kind of thinking that I might use this for me practicum introduction. At present, I just give a talk, but the video would work nicely at the start to kind of introduce the topic in a more student appreciated format. thanks!!
Finally, probably the thing i liked the most, are his connections to 21st century learning. GREAT and this has real connections to what I'm doing. thanks again!!
I think that this could definately be a future opportunity for me with online PD. Simple, varied, interesting. The only thing that I would like to have seen is more detail. I know that most people don't need/want this, but it's all just so challanging for me that I really do appreciate more info, but can see how I am in the minority in this case. thanks darcy

2 comments:

  1. Interesting Darcy. Do pharmacists have a required number of PD hours they have to account for to meet their professional standards?
    One of the issues that I see in education is that we are not required by our provincial association (and not my local, not sure about others) to gain any PD hours beyond what we choose to do. So that means that an educator could graduate and teach 30 years and never take any PD other than what is provided during the school day. PD is on a voluntary basis.

    That to me is scary! Would I want my doctor, dentist, mechanic or plumber to have those low standards? Nope.

    Now - that said, I know that most school boards are trying to implement more professional learning into their structures. That will help but I would like to see an increase in base line professional standards. Distance, as you say is no longer an issue if people have an online option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, pharmacists have to get 15 ceu's/year. that's about 15 contact hours. darcy

    ReplyDelete