Sunday, February 22, 2009

Clarence Fisher's Blog review continued

Howdy one and all again. This is this week's review of Clarence. He titles it "How Did You Know it's 60 Days Past Christmas" This is a comment about how you can figure out the reason for your students frustration. It's due to the 60 day free trail period of Window running out for your students. It's kind of funny, but it made me think of just how pervsive technology really is in so many lives. We don't even really think about it often, much less access the impact. It's kind of just taken for granted. What about those who don't have access to technology? How do they fair in the educational and work systems? How much of a disadvantage do they face? It's such a big advantage, but maybe for those who can't afford it, a hugh stumbling block. Just a thought. darcy

http://remoteaccess.typepad.com/

Howdy one and all again, I am now reveiwing his blog from this week. He started with a Ted video and says that he kind of wants to be able to see beyond current ideas of what technology is. Clarence writes that he thinks we need a new word that is free from connections to politics and big companies, so he comes up with the word edpunk. I'm not one who is real keen on making up labels for something that already exists, even though I do see his point of how much Microsoft and other hugh companies are really political machines that influence us in so many ways - many of which we don't even think about. Anyway, no more ranting. What I wanted to say is how Clarence's ideas really connect to the 2 literature reviews that I did on the blog this week. Wow, sometimes I have to say that these connections really blow my mind. I guese that I should expect them becuase that is kind of one of the points of this class. ( how to use technology to help us improve what we're doing, not just maintain the status quo. Just one more connection here for me and then I'm done. For my project for this class, Brent suggested a webpage. marnie then gave me a ninehub site to go to that let me post all my classes (each lecture) on the web for delivery to the students. At work, my coworkers have mentioned this several times to me but I always thought why do more work when what I have is doing ok right now? Well, unbeknost to me, once I got over the technical problems of using the site, I have to say that I really like it. It would be a real life saver at work, and once this initial imput is finished, I can see it acutally saving me time. As things change and I need to add new information, all I do is go to that lecture and add it in. NO more photocopying!!!!!!!!!!! Ya HOO!!!!! When I was talking with Marnie about what to do , she had questions about the importance of making the project about something that I would use. To be truthful, I thought yah, yah, yah. I'm just gonna do what needs to be done for this project and get out of this class with my skin still one. I guess that I have to say that this has been one of the most surprising things of this class in general. that technology can really help me, I just have to be open to it. I guess that I'm just one of those people that are dragged to the table kicking and screaming, but it's really all been pretty good at the end of the day. to go back to Clarence's post, the point of being open to new things ( no matter what you call them) is really a good thing. For me, it also helps me to remember what it's like to be student who always has new things throwen at them in my program. darcy


Howdy one and all , this is another review of Clarence's blog. Last week ( I had technical difficulties with editing my blog last week) he talked about classroom organization. How desk position can affect learning. I was really surprised when I read this. It makes sense to me, but I just never really thought about it before. When I went to school our desks were in rows and the teacher was at the front. Not real creative and it would be highly looked down apon today. It sets ups power structure, doesn't encourage free dialogue for just a few things. I do have to admit though,that my classroom has me at the front and desks in rows. I find this helpful with the technical information in my program becuase I usually the one dispensing the information to the students. What I try to do is question each student about what was covered in the previous class and in other classes to try to connect the classes together. However, despite what I have already said, here's the kicker. It's the lab portion of my program that is set up to mimic an acutal community pharmacy. Each student has a lab station that is like a workstation in a community pharamcy. The stations are close together so that I try to encourage team work amoungst the students. So, if I'm being honest, I guess I do consider classroom design to be import, just more so with the work related portion ( lab portion) of the class. I think that this maybe reflects my background as a practicing pharmacist. I think that at the end of the day, I still do teach from my position of comfort. Maybe I need to expand my viewpoint to that of a TEACHER as well. I just really have a hard time thinking of myself as a teacher. I still thinkk that I am a pharmacist who teaches. Maybe that's one really positive potential change of bias that this class could help me work on?? Teacher (pharmacist) teach thyself?? darcy

well, once again, it's time for clarence. He has a 30 point contact prestentation this week. it's about how he's getting student s to introduce what he calls simple technology into their assigments throught the smartset project. Ie youtube, flicker, etc. What I really liked is when he talked about the students using technology to learng in different ways. This has real connections to my thing of 21st century learning. Thinking outside the box, creativity, applying learning to new areas, are all skills that seem to be demand in the workplace, so we should be "teaching" them to our students. How to go clarence. i think that many teachers all circle around the same ideas, but that it's nice to have a place like clarence's blog to see what others are doing. It's kind of like a little collaboration. darcy

1 comment:

  1. I appreciated your insight in classroom design. This is a concept that is often overlooked by teachers. Teachers have been conditioned to believe rows are the optimal method of learning. I myself have experimented with crazy styles of arrangement; face to face, circles, random, you name I have tried it. Depending on the lesson I continually manipulate the learning space. In my current teaching assignment, I have removed desks all together which reduces the ability to socialize since they occupy their time organizing their work space. In the computer lab rearranging the structure of the room is impossible. This I find difficult in monitoring student work because the students can hide their work. Their work is not always productive. A circle concept would be the most effective in monitoring but would take up the most space.

    ReplyDelete